Harrowbarrow & Metherell Village Hall is a large village hall built in 1995. There is a hall and meeting room for hire. It is at the heart of village life and is the venue for many clubs, groups and societies in the area. It is also hired for various private functions including wedding receptions, parties and business meetings. The address of Harrowbarrow & Metherell Village Hall is School Road, Harrowbarrow, Callington. PL17 8BQ.
Recent developments have provided the site with three distinct areas:
- A Village Hall with adjacent parking, garden and grassed areas for various outdoor activities such as summer shows etc. Along with a public access defibrillator sited between the kitchen door and window (2018).
- A woodland and park area with 300 native trees (2007). The grass is cut in certain areas to provide trails and picnic areas.
- A fully equipped and landscaped play area (2010) including zip wire, climbing frame with slide, swings, fenced multi activity/ball playing area. Skateboard/bike ramped area and a specific area for younger children and toddlers with climbing frame, ride on bouncers, swings and agility challenge. The site is safe and secure where children are able to play away from traffic and other dangers.
More recent developments have equipped the Hall with a newly installed heating system and a multi-function programmed lighting system that can be requested when booking a special event (2018).
The Village Hall is managed by the Harrowbarrow & Metherell Community Association and the venue can be booked through the Bookings Secretary: Lorraine Palmer on 01579 350911. A Village Hall website was launched in 2014 – to browse go to:
metherell-village-hall.btck. co.uk there you can link to a Facebook page.
Twenty walks entitled ‘Out & About’ in the Tamar Valley have been produced by the Community Association & Women’s Institute using a small grant (2009). Out & About Leaflets can be purchased at Harrowbarrow Post Office at a cost of 25p. Guided walks take place every 2nd Wednesday of the month. Meet in the Village Hall Car Park at 2 p.m.
The Harrowbarrow & Metherell Community Association was formed in 1981 and a Constitution was adopted in 1983. The Community Association (CA) meets quarterly and holds its AGM in May. There are 17 organisations that use the Village Hall regularly and are represented on the General Committee along with Officers and Individual Members from the Community Association’s Sub-committees. Thirty-six members currently serve on the Community Association’s committees. There are currently four Sub-committees that are overseen by the General Committee. All endeavour to raise funds to offset the maintenance costs of the Village Hall and its surrounds. New members are always welcome.
The current sub-committees are:
- Hall Management ~ responsible for the day to day running and maintenance of the Village Hall and grounds. It employs a team of voluntary supervisors who open and close the Village Hall as required
- Social ~ provide opportunities through social events to enrich the life of all members of the community
- Hamlet ~ the free quarterly newsletter of the villages begun in 1981. Hamlet is delivered by (20) voluntary distributors to over 700 households in the area. A free copy can be picked up in the Post Office in Harrowbarrow. It includes news from a range of groups as well as adverts and information about events in the area
- Hamlet Film Club ~ showing films on the 3rd Tuesday of every month and occasionally at other times. Full details about the Club can be found on the Village Hall website
The Community Association also provides extensive information in the form of a Welcome Pack that it gives to new residents.
Hire charges: The current hourly standard rate is £15.75 per hour for the main hall and £7.35 per hour for the Games Room. Full kitchen use is £25. Reduced rates are offered to local voluntary & village based groups.
Capacity: Main hall seated capacity of 120 or 88 with tables and chairs. There is standing room for 264. The Games Room can be hired for smaller meetings up to 40 or 20 when seated around tables.
Equipment: There is light and sound equipment, pull down screens in the main hall and the Games Room, a digital projector & projector stand. There are electronic keyboards as well as a stage for theatre productions. A party tent is available for hire.
Kitchen: Caters for 50 and facilities include: Point of use hot and cold water, cookers, microwave, fridge/freezer, large capacity boiling urn for hot drinks, cutlery, crockery, kettles, heated cupboard, a quick cycle dish-washer and extensive work surfaces.
Car parking: Alongside the village hall.
Access: There is an accessible entrance and toilet. The Village Hall has a Hearing Loop facility on its premises.
Public Transport: There is a limited bus service. The nearest train station is at Gunnislake approximately 2 miles away.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.