Cornwall VSF has been asked to help local voluntary sector organisations by providing a resource for them to use with people who are facing financial difficulties.  The following links are divided by category to help narrow down the advice areas.  Most are from national or local government, as well as Citizens Advice (Cornwall and the national website) and other trusted sources of information.

Debt and money

Citizens Advice Debt and Money page

Support with energy bills on the energy page.

Money Advice Service page around Coronavirus and your money

Christians Against Poverty centres in Truro, Falmouth, Redruth, Wadebridge, Helston and Liskeard (and with a 10 mile radius) are taking new customers. Currently operating a phone only service and appointments are available. Refer via the website.


Claiming benefits

Cornwall Council benefits info page

Citizens Advice benefits info page

Understanding Universal Credit info page

Money Advice Service page – coronavirus what it means for you

Housing support via Cornwall Council’s COVID-19 Housing page


Business support – businesses, self-employed,

Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Growth Hub business info pages – under the Resources tab on the right, see COVID-19 support

Emnployer help from the DWP

Employer help around furlough (which might also be useful for furloughed employees)


Looking for work at this time – via the DWP Jobhelp website

Help for furloughed employees –  from the Citizens Advice website


Budgeting advice

Money Advice Service advice on budgeting

Budgeting tool from Citizens Advice 

Budget planning from Money Saving Expert

Which? advice on budgeting and planning


Emergency small grants

Cornwall Council has two crisis grant schemes, which you can read more about, and access, via their website.

  • Crisis awards are for adults in an emergency situation, with a local connection.
  • Care awards are for adults in receipt of certain benefits, with a local connection, and less than £1,500.
  • For both there is a need to prove that you are in need, and meet other criteria.

Some local and national organisations have the ability to provide small one-off grants to individuals in crisis, eg for replacing a broken kitchen appliance, or vehicle repairs for key workers. It’s not a service that is widely publicised, but some organisations can provide it if you are already in touch with them, for example Citizens Advice Cornwall. Speak with an adviser to discuss alternatives first, but this option is available in emergency cases.

Some national organisations provide emergency grants – Turn2Us has a grants-finder page that can help you establish what an individual is eligible for.

If someone is receiving benefits, they can enquire about:
Budgeting Loans, if they are receiving Income support, income-based JSA, income-related ESA, or Pension Credit.
Budgeting Advance, if they are receiving Universal Credit.