Almost 4 in 10 of UK adults volunteer, with most saying it benefits their mental health and helps fight loneliness.

This is the headline finding of a survey conducted by YouGov on behalf of the National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO), which spoke to 10,103 people aged over 18, asking their views and experience of volunteering.

The aims of the survey were to:

  • gain a rounder view of the different ways people get involved
  • look at how volunteering fits into people’s lives and the impact it has on them
  • understand people’s experiences across the volunteer journey
  • consider what a quality volunteer experience looks like
  • explore how to better engage potential volunteers.

If your organisation has or wants volunteers, this would be a great place to start, to look at what motivates them, and therefore how to attract them.

  • 90% said they felt that their contribution had made a difference (which does beg the question about the other 10%!)
  • 77% said volunteering had improved their mental health
  • 53% said it had improved their physical health
  • 77% of 18-24-year-olds said that it helped combat isolation

You can read the full report and a summary on the NCVO website and a Guardian article on the subject.