Sources of ongoing support in jobseeking, including making adaptations for people with sight loss, or other disabilities.
Funded work-focussed training for people who are facing or who have recently been made redundant is available from Jobcentre Plus.
- There is no definitive list of what might be funded – it is entirely down to what will make the difference to someone in terms of removing barriers to finding work and improving their likelihood of finding another job quickly
- it must be vocational training (not academic) and cannot be above level 3
- If it is available from another source either free, or through alternative funding, then that would be the route to pursue
- It should build on a person’s individual skills and experience
- it’s linked to demand in the local labour market and the request should be backed up with evidence of jobs that could be applied for following successful completion of the training
- You don’t have to claim, or be in receipt of benefits to qualify, but you do have to be genuinely at risk of redundancy (so in your notice period) or to be within 13 weeks of having been made redundant
- To start the ball rolling, book a Face to Face appointment called a Skills Transfer Analysis with the National Careers Service on 0333 006 2966
- More information about support and sources of training is available in the local Jobcentre Plus leaflets which can be found here
It’s important to remember that decisions on funding are at the discretion of Jobcentre Plus. You may find that other training options are suggested or that Jobcentre Plus is unable to agree to fund.
Based in Hayle but covers all of Cornwall by telephone. Employability support for people with health issues / disabilities. Click to download leaflet. Click to download leaflet.
iSight Cornwall offer a supported employment service for people with sight loss. Support offered to employers as well as employees, so that blind and partially sighted people are included in the workplace. Click to download their Supported Employment information sheet.