Community Notice Category: Notice
From Kim Mabon, Partnership Advisor, DWP.
The Government has published ‘Health is everyone’s business’, a public consultation seeking views on different ways in which government and employers can take action to reduce ill health-related job loss.
Each year more than 100,000 people leave their job following a period of sickness absence lasting at least four weeks. Offering flexibility, early support and occupational health advice are the key to successful retention in the workplace. We know that many employers already see the case to invest in health and wellbeing. But some, particularly smaller ones, might not have the knowledge or time to support their employees with health conditions, even when they want to. The Government’s consultation seeks to address these challenges as is focussed on four main areas:
- Amending the legal framework to encourage early action to support individuals when they are absent from work and to facilitate more conversations to agree effective workplace modifications;
- Reforming of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) so that it is better enforced, more flexible, and support the lowest paid employees;
- Measures to improve availability of high-quality, cost-effective occupational health (OH) services for employers; and
- Improving advice and support from government for employers to understand and act on their responsibilities.
We need your help
You can help shape future plans in this exciting area by accessing the consultation via this link.
The consultation will be open until 7th October 2019. Your views will be invaluable in helping Government to understand the implications of any reforms and how any potential changes can be best implemented in the future. This will be vital in ensuring Government provides employers and employees with the most effective support going forward.
Want to find out more?
Please join officials from the Department for Work and Pensions and the Department of Health and Social Care, in an interactive discussion on the consultation:
5 August, 9.30am – midday, South West China Fleet Country Club, North Pill, Saltash, PL12 6LJ
For event tickets go to Eventbrite.
These events have been designed to:
- Deepen your understanding of Government’s role in this agenda
- Give you the chance to discuss the potential changes with other businesses in your area