Community notice Category: Notice
Kernow Positive Support is a specialist Cornish charity, connected to Treliske Hospital, supporting people living with HIV. We promote knowledge and understanding of HIV and its issues, and educate young people and adults on how to protect themselves and prevent the onward transmission of HIV.
We are offering workshops on HIV awareness to Members of Cornwall Voluntary Sector Forum.
These workshops are different from other safer-sex- promotion or STI-awareness sessions. Since the classes focus solely on HIV, they are specialist and in-depth. Sessions are led by experienced, knowledgeable HIV-positive and -negative volunteers.
The session covers the following areas:
- A general overview of what HIV and AIDS are
- The specific definitions of HIV and AIDS
- Information how HIV replicates in the body and how treatment for HIV works
- Some facts and figures about its prevalence in the world / UK / Cornwall
- Information on contraception and the importance of safer sex including some figures about rates of STIs.
- Quiz on myths surrounding HIV including routes and non-routes of transmission (teaching prevention and combating stigma and discrimination)
- What does “Undetectable = Untransmittable” mean?
- What are Post- and Pre Exposure Prophylaxis?
Some of our volunteers are also happy to talk about their personal experiences, and put all of the above into the context of living with HIV.
We can offer these sessions via Microsoft Teams or face-to-face, complying with your Covid-19 safety policy. If you opt for face-to-face, all we need is a computer able to take a flashdrive and to project our Powerpoint presentation.
Schools and colleges, we do not charge a fee of £40, we only ask for a donation to cover the cost of travel expenses of the Awareness Trainer.
Profit making organisations and businesses we invoice for an hour session of £40, this covers the travel expenses of the Awareness trainer and a small donation towards running costs of the charity.
If you would like to book a session, please reply to this email or ring 01872 258453.