A short list for people to refer those in urgent need.
Food banks – see the Transformation Cornwall list, updated every Friday at 6pm, for contact details and referral routes & criteria at all the food banks.
Clothing – there is a new list of clothing banks that we have collated including clothing sources for adults, children, homeless people, etc.
Housing and homelessness
- Resources on the Cornwall Housing website, for people facing homelessness, or to help those who are already sleeping rough 0300 1234 161
- Streetlink, alerting support services to people sleeping rough 0300 500 0914
- St Petrocs advice and support line 01872 264 153
- Shelter, helpline around housing issues (tenancy, etc) 0808 800 4444
Debt/benefits/financial support – Citizens Advice Cornwall has debt advisers who can give one-to-one support, and general advice on benefits, work, housing, energy advice/bills and health:
- Debt enquiries – text DEBT to 78866
- Debt Advice Line – 01752 850 488 M-F only
- All other enquiries – text ADVICE to 78866
Health and disability support
disAbility Cornwall and Isles of Scilly – DIAL information service 01736 759 500
Emergency dental care – West Country Dental Care – 0333 405 0290 for those who need urgent dental care but are not registered with a dentist.
Learning Disability – Cornwall People First, user-led service, offering easy-read guides, and advocacy.
For those caring for others
Young children – Parents/family members can make a referral to the Early Help Hub from Cornwall Council for family support, health visiting, parenting support, etc. – 01872 322277
Promas Caring for People also offers support services and training for carers.
Children & young people
Childline for any child or young person, for any problem 0800 11 11 7.30am-3.30am, 7 days a week
The Mix is the UK’s leading support service for young people aged up to 25, with online support and a helpline & counselling service. 0808 808 4994
Mental health and wellbeing
Mental health – extensive lists of mental health support, both for those in crisis, and those who need a nudge to get them into healthier thought patterns.
Samaritans – 116 123
Bereavement – Cornwall Bereavement Network will help signpost to appropriate services. 01208 834 620 9-5, M-F.
For young people who have been bereaved, Penhaligon’s Friends offers advice, guidance and support. 01209 210 624
Outlook Southwest /Cornwall Partnership NHS Trust Suicide Liaison Service, for adults who have been bereaved by suicide. 01208 871905. and Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide similarly. 0300 111 5065 9am-9pm, M-Sat.
Drugs and alcohol – We Are With You Cornwall with support and advice for those who need support with drugs, alcohol or mental health, for themselves or a freind/family member. 0333 2000 325 (24 hours)
Eating Disorders – see BEAT Eating Disorders website for details of helplines and chat rooms. Main helpline 0808 801 0677, open every day, 9am-8pm week days, 4pm-8pm weekends & bank holidays.
For those in danger
Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence –
- See Cornwall Council’s resources explaining what this covers, and where people can find support to escape abusive situations and relationships.
- First Light – 0300 777 4777 support for those affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence
- Cornwall Refuge Trust – 01872 22 5629 – 24 helpline for anyone escaping domestic abuse
Police – 999 for emergencies, 101 for non-emergencies. If you need to dial 999 but cannot speak to the operator, press 55, and they will understand, and help you.
Victim Support – for those affected by a crime or traumatic events, 0808 1689 111