Cornwall Council has opened a consultation into proposals to raise council tax, with regard to the draft budget for 2019-2020.
Over the last 10 years, Cornwall Council has made savings of around £350 million to deal with increasing demands and rising costs at a time when grants from Government reduced significantly. Over the next four years, we need to reduce our spending by a further £70 million. Although meeting this target will be challenging, we are in a sound financial position and are not in the financial situation that a number of Councils are reporting. The Council’s budget proposals for next year include increasing Council tax by 3.99%, including a 2% increase to fund adult social care services. We are keen to hear views from all residents, including from our most vulnerable residents. We would like to ask for your help in promoting this consultation to your own networks and audiences. The survey closes 17 December 2018.
You can find out more on the Engagement page, including how to take part.
Other formats or languages are available, including large print and Easy Read. Sign language interpreters for public meetings can also be requested.
Public engagement events are planned for towns throughout Cornwall, where councillors will be talking to people on high streets in local towns (some have already taken place):
- 11 October, 10am – 12pm: Camelford, Market Place Band Stand
- 16 October, 10am – 12pm: Saltash library or Waitrose (tbc)
- 18 October, 2pm – 4pm: Callington, Tesco
- 18 October, 2pm – 4pm: Roche, Co-op
- 19 October, 10am – 12pm: Launceston, Town Square
- 23 October, 10am – 12pm: Fowey, Church Gates
- 24 October, 10am – 12pm: Penzance, Wharfside
- 25 October, 10.30am – 12.30pm: Bude, Triangle
Community Network Panel meetings will also include information on this:
- 29 October: Liskeard and Looe Community Network Panel
- 6 November: Falmouth and Penryn Community Network Panel
- 7 November: Helston Community Network Panel
- 13 November: Camborne, Pool, Illogan and Redruth
- 15 November: Newquay Community Network Panel
- 15 November: West Penwith Community Network Panel
- 19 November: Hayle and St Ives Community Network Panel
- 20 November: Truro and the Roseland Community Network Panel
- 22 November: St Agnes and Perranporth Community Network Panel
- 29 November: Wadebridge Community Network Panel hosting a Cluster meeting with Caradon and Bodmin Community Network Panels
- 29 November: Camelford Community Network Panel
- 3 December: Cornwall Gateway Community Network Panel
- 10 December: St Austell Community Network Panel hosting a cluster meeting with China Clay and St Blazey, Fowey and Lostwithiel Community Network Panels
- 13 December: Launceston Community Network Panel (tbc)