Cornwall Council is going to re-start debt recovery for Council Tax from the middle of October, but is aware that there will be households which are going to struggle to pay.

They have issued a new leaflet, as well as information around the support that is available to people, but are urging people who are going to have difficulties paying their Council Tax bills to get in touch.

You can download the leaflet here.


The government’s extended ban on evicting people who rent their homes ended on 20 September with landlords still required to give six months’ notice to any tenants they want to evict. 

Cornwall’s Social and Supported Housing landlords which include Coastline HousingCornwall Council/Cornwall Housing LtdLiveWest and Ocean Housing, have said that no-one will be evicted from their homes as a result of financial hardship caused by coronavirus, where they are working with their landlord to get their payments back on track.  But you should get in touch with them right now if you are having difficulties in paying your rent and haven’t already, as the earlier everyone starts talking the easier it is to resolve problems.  

If you are one of the one in five households who rent your home from a private landlord and are worried about being evicted,the council is urging you to get in touch with Cornwall Housing’s Prevention and Engagement Team at or by calling 0300 1234 161 now so they can work with you and your landlord to help find a solution. 

Cornwall’s Social and Supported Housing landlords have pledged to: 

  • Keep tenants secure in their home: No-one will be evicted from one of our homes as a result of financial hardship caused by coronavirus, where they are working with their landlord to get their payments back on track. 
  • Help people to get the support they need: Social and supported housing landlords are helping their tenants to access benefits. Advisors have been providing support to tenants who are claiming Universal Credit for the first time and any others that need support with welfare benefits, money advice, debt reduction and support into employment. 
  • Act compassionately and quickly where tenants are struggling Landlords will generally work with any tenant who is struggling and who is willing to make arrangements to pay rent that is manageable for them in the long term. Legal action will only be taken in serious circumstances – for example, as a last resort when a tenant will not agree a plan to pay their rent with their landlord. 

Who to contact

If you rent from a social housing provider and are unable to or struggling to pay your rent for any reason you should contact: 

Need help and support to prevent homelessness? Talk to Cornwall Housing’s Prevention and Engagement Team  

Worrying about whether or not you will be able to keep a roof over your head can take its toll and help and support is available for anyone concerned about their mental wellbeing

Discretionary funds to support residents

There are three discretionary funds to support residents in need of extra financial help.     

Discretionary Housing Payments for residents who rent their home, are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and need extra help to pay their rent.     

Exceptional Relief for working age residents in receipt of Council Tax Support and who need further financial help to pay their Council tax     

Crisis and Care Award scheme which can provide extra help in emergency or disaster situations.     

Find out more about benefits available including details of eligibility criteria for Housing Benefit