Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Growth Hub recently ran a webinar talking with businesses about social media. The speaker, Sam Amps, shared a host of useful information about how businesses (and voluntary sector organisations) can get the most from the world of social media, and the whole webinar can be viewed on the CIOS Growth Hub website.
However, a particularly useful feature that is new to Facebook might be of wider interest. Discussed at around 18 minutes into the webinar, Sam describes the Donate feature.
Where Facebook now offers a choice of uploading a photo / video, or sharing a feeling or activity, there is now a … option, which gives a huge range of other alternatives. One of these is ‘Support non-profit’. The idea, apparently, is that you can choose to support a non-profit on your birthday or other occasion, by asking friends to make a donation to a cause of your choice.
In order for a non-profit to be chosen, they first have to be appear on the list, for which they need to be registered, which is relatively straightforward. There aren’t many Cornish charities currently registered, and it could be a good shortcut for your supporters to give to your cause, or to share to allow others to give in their name.
To register you must provide a VAT number (if applicable), charity registration number (where applicable), a charity registration document issued or approved by a government entity and a bank account registered with a licensed financial services institution.
- Make sure that the charity’s Facebook Page category is ‘Nonprofit Organization’ or ‘Charity Organization’ and that its address is included in the ‘About’ section of its Facebook Page.
- Sign up for Facebook Payments from a Page admin account.
- Accept Facebook’s terms of service.
- Accept the terms of Business Manager (for organizations that use Business Manager).
- Date of birth and address of the charity’s CEO or executive director.
- Bank account details including bank name, bank account holder’s name (organization’s name), a legible and official bank letter or statement dated within the last 3 months, SWIFT Code and bank IBAN number.